Web crawlers usually discover pages from links within the site and from other sites. Sitemaps supplement this data to allow crawlers that support Sitemaps to pick up all URLs in the Sitemap and learn about those URLs using the associated metadata.
Is building an HTML site maps worth it? ( 1 minute, 16 seconds)
What this means is you should try and link your website pages from within. XML sitemaps are an important part of SEO but they should be complimented with direct links within pages and a html page whenever possible.
Here is a site you might find handy
Here is a simple exercise to generate a HTML sitemap. If your CMS already has a HTML SiteMap, you can delete the example Sitemap page we create in this example after your done.
- Enter in your website URL for the sake the test have it create an HTML sitemap.
- Download the sitemap, open the file into your text editor.
- Copy everything between the two Body tags.
- Now create a new page. With this example I named my page SITEMAP.
- Create a header and a new text field. In the text field turn on the HTML editor and then paste the html you copied in and save the page.
- Now open your home page and create a text field at the bottom
- Turn on the HTML editor and place a link to that newly created sitemap page.
- Save your home page and test the link
- Now go to google Webmaster Tools and under health, fetch the home page again and fetch the newly created Sitemap page you created.
In this example I used:
<p><a href="XXX">click to view Site Map</a></p>
Replace the href="XXX" with your own HTML sitemap address and remember to update it when you add pages.
By the way....If you do not have Google Webmaster tools linked to your site you are really hurting your SEO. Here is a starting point if your a little lost